Piriformis syndrome, a rare neuromuscular disorder caused by the piriformis muscle seems to affect many lives than what the actual numbers suggest. Now before jumping the gun whether the inversion table can effectively employed to reduce the affect of this syndrome, we ought to dig deeper and know some of the primary aspects of this so as to get a better understanding of the subject.
The Piriformis muscle the prime reason for this condition is situated deep to the gluteus muscle across the upper part of the buttocks. In this particular condition the piriformis muscle compresses the sciatic nerve and causes kind of excruciating pain in the buttocks and also numbs the entire part of the leg behind. Since this very nerve facilitates us to walk, maintain balance and shift our body weight from one foot to another, so the people suffering from this very condition will find it very difficult to do those things.
The Noteworthy reasons
We know that the piriformis muscle is as important as any other muscle in our body, so what exactly causes this problem. Though the precise reason is still a matter of research, we see the few general instances where this syndrome comes in to the picture.
- During injury or cramps when the muscles get tightened we may see piriformis syndrome.
- Due to swelling in the piriformis muscle as a result of injury or spasms
- A cramp in the piriformis muscle or any of the muscles nearby the hip and buttock region could cause this syndrome.
The reason for this condition may be one of the reasons or a combination of the above reasons in the adverse case. The irritation caused in sciatic nerve too could lead to this condition. People suffering from this very condition feel the tormenting trouble and will even find it difficult to walk as the lower half of the body becomes almost numb.
But off late, people suffering from this condition are advised to do certain things certain way and can soothe themselves from the otherwise tormenting trauma of this condition. Various alternatives have been considered over the years to get rid of this syndrome. Few of the most preferred ones are:
- Sitting in a certain posture or position would trigger the piriformis muscle to compress the sciatic nerve and extreme pain is experienced. So it is recommended to avoid sitting in those postures and avoid the pain.
- Yoga practices can lessen the pain to a marginal extent according to a few.
- Swimming is also advised by a few who are probably in the initial stages
- Inversion table is probably one of the most prescribed process to overcome the piriformis syndrome.
- Walking also might come in handy for the treatment.
Is an Inversion table the answer?
Inversion tables are widely recommended as the testimonials of the victims of this chronic problem. On a number of cases, it is believed to relieve the pain caused due to this by around 80%. A proper set of exercises can relax the muscles and soothe if done under a proper guidance. Though this chronic condition isn’t completely solved by inversion therapy by the inversion table, it basically decompressed the muscles and discs in the back thereby alluring a lot of comfort through its course.
The inversion therapy functions on the principle of spinal traction and so the posture in which the person suffering from this condition is exercising will also be crucial. Long walks too can alleviate the otherwise elevating pain and give comfort to the body. Inversion table of course helps the piriformis syndrome but it cannot be relied for 100% result as the inversion table just reduces the pain to a maximum extent but it is not yet proved to be the best solution for the problem.